Do you need to get your teeth professionally cleaned to maintain a great smile and excellent oral health? Absolutely. Regular visits to a dental hygienist will not only give you a brighter smile but will ensure that your teeth and gums stay healthy.
At Ollie & Darsh, we have years of experience providing professional teeth cleaning services to our clients. Our team of dental hygienists and dentists understands the importance of maintaining good oral health and can help you achieve the best results.
In this blog post, we’ll give you information and advice on how often to schedule professional teeth cleaning appointments and how you can maintain good oral health between visits.
Why Are Professional Teeth Cleaning Important For Oral Health?
Here are three excellent reasons why you should see a dental hygienist for a professional teeth cleaning appointment:
- Remove plaque and tartar buildup: if left untreated, this buildup can lead to gum disease and tooth decay – and simply brushing and flossing can’t keep it away completely.
- Early detection of dental issues: during a professional teeth cleaning appointment, dental hygienists can examine your teeth and gums for any signs of disease or decay. Early detection is essential for preventing serious dental problems and can save you money in the long run.
- A bright and healthy smile: surface stains caused by coffee, tea, and other food and drink can be removed during cleaning, leaving your teeth looking whiter and brighter.
How Often Should You See A Dental Hygienist?
The frequency of professional teeth cleaning appointments varies depending on each person’s oral health needs. In general, it is recommended that adults schedule professional teeth cleaning appointments every six months. If you have a history of gum disease, tooth decay, or other dental problems, you may need more regular cleaning appointments.
If you are unsure how often you should schedule professional teeth cleaning appointments, speak to your dentist or dental hygienist. They can assess your oral health and recommend a schedule that is right for you.
What Happens During A Professional Teeth Cleaning Appointment?
During a professional teeth cleaning appointment, a dental hygienist uses special tools to remove plaque and tartar buildup from your teeth and gums. They will also floss your teeth and polish them to remove surface stains.
If you have any signs of gum disease, such as bleeding or swollen gums, the dental hygienist may also perform a deep cleaning procedure called scaling and root planing. This involves removing plaque and tartar buildup from below the gum line.
Throughout the appointment, the dental hygienist will examine your teeth and gums for any signs of disease or decay. They will also offer advice on improving your oral health, such as tips for brushing and flossing at home.
How Do I Maintain Good Oral Health Between Professional Teeth Cleaning Visits?
Maintaining good oral health between professional teeth cleaning visits is essential for preventing dental problems. Here are some tips for maintaining good oral health:
- Brush your teeth twice a day with fluoride toothpaste.
- Floss at least once a day to remove plaque and food particles from between your teeth.
- Limit sugary and acidic foods and drinks, as they can damage your teeth and lead to decay.
- Drink plenty of water to help rinse away food particles and keep your mouth hydrated.
- Chew sugar-free gum after meals to help stimulate saliva production and neutralise the acid in your mouth.
How Can I Overcome Dental Anxiety?
Dental anxiety is a common issue many people face when visiting the dentist. If you experience dental anxiety, there are several things you can do to help ease your nerves.
First, it’s important to communicate with your dentist or dental hygienist about your anxiety. They can work with you to develop a plan for addressing your concerns and helping you feel more comfortable during your appointment.
Additionally, you can try relaxation techniques such as deep breathing or visualisation exercises before and during your appointment to help ease your anxiety. You can also bring a friend or family member with you for support.
How Can I Make The Most Of My Dental Hygienist Appointment And Get The Best Results For My Oral health?
To make the most of your professional teeth cleaning appointment and get the best results for your oral health, here are a few key tips:
- Arrive on time for your appointment and bring any necessary paperwork or insurance information with you.
- Be sure to communicate any concerns or questions you have with your dental hygienist or dentist.
- During your appointment, pay attention to any recommendations your dental hygienist makes for improving your oral hygiene routine at home.
- Make sure you follow these recommendations and take good care of your teeth and gums between professional teeth cleaning visits.
- Schedule your next professional teeth cleaning appointment before leaving the office to ensure that you stay on track with your oral health care.
Regular Professional Teeth Cleaning Is Vital!
Professional teeth cleaning is essential for maintaining good oral health and preventing tooth decay and gum disease. The recommended frequency of professional teeth cleaning appointments can vary depending on individual needs, but the general advice is to schedule appointments at least twice a year.
To maintain good oral health between professional teeth cleaning visits, it is important to maintain good oral hygiene habits at home, eat a balanced and healthy diet, and communicate openly with your dentist or dental hygienist.
Contact Ollie & Darsh Today
If you are interested in professional teeth cleaning services at Ollie & Darsh, or have any questions or concerns about your oral health, please get in touch via our contacts page, call us on 01512366578 or use our bookings page to schedule an appointment. We are here to help you achieve and maintain good oral health for a lifetime.